big me
February 19th, 2008 by wrekehavoc

today, i am going to be mortified. i’ve got a piece prepared about me as a high school egomaniac, and i’m going to share it with a sold-out bunch of people i probably have never met (and who probably will never want to meet me after this.)

in short, i am afraid.

but i’m sure it will work out. mortified, you see, is a fun program where people who have actually held on to their terrible, awful, nasty writings from pre-age-21 share them in a humorous setting. humorous for some; mortifying for the reader, i suspect. i’m sure i will upset someone out there (family?) after reading my piece. but this was me, snarky, moody teen girl writing. not me, snarky, moody grownup.

there is a difference. i think.

and ok, on the curb: you wanted a picture of me from my childhood. this is high school me. see if you can figure out precisely what is so dorky about this picture… it may not be quite easy to see, like the gypsy moth treatment on the tree.

high school

February 19th, 2008 at 8:38 am

Even though it’s sold out and I was stupid enough not to get tickets in time, Molly and I are still going to show up and beg to be let in. If it doesn’t work, we’ll be there when you get off stage!

February 19th, 2008 at 8:38 am

you rock, especially since i don’t think my stuff is terribly funny 🙂

• Lanna writes:
    February 19th, 2008 at 8:59 am

I hope you have a great time tonight!!! That sounds like some hilarious entertainment. Good luck to Kelly & Molly — I’ll be crossing my fingers for you all.

And the dorky? I am not quite seeing this… you have only one earring on? you can see brassiere thru plaid shirt? I dunno, but you do look awfully sweet, darlin’!

February 19th, 2008 at 9:13 am

thanks for the kind wishes for kelly, molly, and me 🙂

and as far as the dorkiness, i guess it is hard to see on the web, but yes, it’s a see-through shirt– and i was wearing a purple bra. v e r y classy. but i was so unaware of these things back then, you know.

• rscully writes:
    February 19th, 2008 at 9:23 am

oops. no images. makes sense.

Here is a photo from the same era.

February 19th, 2008 at 9:27 am

rick — that photo is PRICELESS! you. a cheerleader. bleachers. a letter jacket. (hair!) you made my day :-)))

• Jill writes:
    February 19th, 2008 at 12:12 pm

Good luck tonight wreke! You don’t look dorky to me at all though — sorry. If anything you look sure of yourself. I was probably wearing an oversized “Relax, Don’t Do It” T-shirt trying hard to be really cool, hoping no one finds me out!

And a few comments on an earlier post:
    – I must admit that I did buy Thriller, and that two-tape deal that he released ten or so years later. Nothing quite like P.Y.T. though.
    – The Orange Bowl! I saw Genesis at the Orange Bowl! (Grew up down there. Not in the orange bowl — but in South Florida.
    Again — good luck tonight! – Jill

• MamaBird writes:
    February 19th, 2008 at 3:55 pm

Awesome! I am so excited that you are going to read your high school mortificapoems. I have heard of this project and I am so thrilled silly that you hung onto your Very Important Words. Maybe you will share them with your readers after your performance?! Thanks also for the swearing in other languages post btw, I am so totally going to dredge up my high school french for that purpose.

• CuriousC writes:
    February 19th, 2008 at 3:56 pm

Do have fun! How cool! I posted some of my high school journal entries and someone commented I should do this. Can’t wait to hear all about it!

• onthecurb writes:
    February 19th, 2008 at 7:11 pm

Good luck tonight, you totally GORGEOUS gal you! Yeh, I totally failed to find the dork factor in the photo until reading the comments. Then, I spent another minute or so staring at your teenage chest trying to see the purple bra. And, now, I just feel dirty. 😉 Thanks.

I was wondering just last night when you were ever going to post those childhood photos. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. But, if I recall correctly, there was mention of some super sexy eyeglasses. Yes? Cough it up, chicky.

• m2k writes:
    February 20th, 2008 at 1:30 am

Oh, how I wish I could be there to cheer you on. Hope it’s awesome! The picture of you is gorgeous – I love the 2 side braids – I used to wear that exact same ‘do in high school! Love the 80’s!

• Summer Rivas writes:
    February 20th, 2008 at 8:41 pm

The scariest thing about your picture is that you are stunningly beautiful and it reminds us how ugly we really were as teenagers!

February 20th, 2008 at 8:48 pm