explaining homosexuality to a 9 year old
December 16th, 2007 by wrekehavoc

BS left a Time Magazine on the top of the toilet as he always does. he’s always weeks behind on his quality reading, so this issue must be at least a month or so old. one headline that screams from the cover: Yep, He’s Gay.

BC and i were in the bathroom at the same time, she washing her hands and me drying mine. it was one of those slow-motion moments where i saw her eyes leap to the monosyllabic words, words she can easily read. and i knew hilarity would ensue.

mama, girlfriend said, what does that mean?

what?

“gay” she said. duh, mama.

attempting to be as matter of fact as if i were discussing butter or baseball, i replied, gay is when two people are in love with each other and they are both men or both women.

i saw girlfriend processing this one. she made an uneasy face. i wanted to head it off at the pass.

you know, buzz (one of her nicknames), i added, in this world, you are lucky if you can find someone you love who loves you back. it doesn’t really matter whether it’s a boy or a girl.

that finished it. we were both satisfied.

fin.

• srkenney writes:
    December 16th, 2007 at 5:38 pm

Haha! I just love how kids process things. Unlike adults, they don’t hide their confusion or often their level of understanding.

• alejna writes:
    December 16th, 2007 at 7:34 pm

That was a beautiful explanation.

December 16th, 2007 at 8:30 pm

thanks 🙂 there are so many times words befuddle or just leave me. but i am actually learning a thing or two from my BS — he always tells me i overexplain things.

hopefully this time, i didn’t 😉

• Elaine writes:
    December 16th, 2007 at 11:59 pm

You rock. I’m putting this in the back of my brain and will pull it out when my own children are a bit older.

December 17th, 2007 at 8:25 am

Well done!

• onthecurb writes:
    December 17th, 2007 at 12:00 pm

Ooh yeh, that was a great explanation. I almost want to raise the subject with Gav just so I can give your advice. That is apparently a hot subject with the sixth graders as he c0mes home at least 2 days a week, “So and so is GAAAAYYY!” To which I’m always, “And, that matters how?”

Good job. 🙂

• maren writes:
    December 18th, 2007 at 1:01 am

oh, i am actually relieved you had this come up. i realized after the fact that one of the books I sent to little miss has references to homosexuality in it, and i thought you might strangle me because you hadn’t had that “talk” with her yet. Phew! But, kudos to you for the cool way in which you handled it!

• Grandy writes:
    December 18th, 2007 at 1:25 am

Great explanation!! A woman after my own heart!!! I still struggle with that explanation. Thanks!!

• tpgoddess0103 writes:
    December 19th, 2007 at 12:52 am

Oh, very well done. Yes, I will be filing that last line you used away as well. Perfectly said.

• Phil Goldwasser writes:
    December 20th, 2007 at 9:16 am

Thanks for letting me know what to say when it will come up some day!

• Pink Asparagus » Interview with Wreke writes:
    September 18th, 2008 at 9:11 am

[…] CVID. i blog about whatever is unfortunate enough to cross my path. i’ve hit everything from explaining homosexuality to a nine year old to ranting about kids who are waaay too old to sit in strollers at walt disney world. it’s […]